Wednesday, October 28, 2009

CNC Computer Hardware for EMC2, Linux CNC.

Hi All,

I have been super busy out in the shop, catching up from when I was sick. In my very little spare time I have been experimenting with EMC2 from Linux CNC. I believe the first starting point is to find the correct computer hardware that will run EMC2 efficiently. I recently acquired a great little used computer from www.computer-show.com. This great little machine came with a P4 1.3 GHZ, 256mg RAM, 20gig hard drive, and a video card. THe best part about this machine is it came with a warranty and was only $45.00. That is cheaper than some old beater computer off of Craigslist. I installed the EMC2-Ubuntu 8.04 package from the ISO image I burned from www.linuxcnc.org and it installed very easily. I performed the latency test and it was at about 11,000, perfect for running EMC2. I will begin hardware testing of my controller box very soon. So far I am very impressed by EMC2 and look forward to running it.

Andy

No comments: